I am aware of four books related to the Pastorals that have just come out, and thought it would be useful to mention them here.
First is the new volume on the PE in the Baylor Handbook series. The series as a whole has been very well done so I look forward to seeing this PE volume by Larry Perkins.
Second, is this new edition of Aquinas’s commentaries on the PE, Michael G Sirilla, The Ideal Bishop: Aquinas’s Commentaries on the Pastoral Epistles (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press. 2017).
I have only glanced at it so far. Here is the table of contents:
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- The Theology of the Episcopacy in the Writings
- St. Thomas’s Lectures on the Pastoral Epistles
- Lectures on 1 Timothy: Ut gubernet populum
- Lectures on 2 Timothy: Ut pro populo subdito patiatur
- Lectures on Titus: Ut malos coerceat
This will be fascinating in terms of the history of interpretation.
Third, Baylor has also published a new monograph on the Pastorals, Civilized Piety: The Rhetoric of Pietas in the Pastoral Epistles and the Roman Empire by T. Christopher Hoklotubbe. Here is the table of contents for this book:
Introduction: The Politics of Piety in the Pastoral Epistles
- Piety in Caesar’s House
- Piety in God’s House
- Honoring Piety in the City
- Honoring Piety in the Ekklēsia
- The Mystery of Philosophical Piety
- The Mystery of Pastoral Piety
Conclusion: A Pious and Civilized Christian in the Roman Empire
Fourth, the Pastorals are dealt within this interesting new book, Paul as Pastor, edited by Brian S. Rosner, Andrew S. Malone, and Trevor J. Burke (New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. 2018). The PE are dealt with by Bob Yarbrough in chapter 11 (which can be viewed at Amazon)
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- The Household Setting of Paul’s Pastoral Practice and its Biblical and Jewish Roots — Brian S. Rosner, Ridley College, Australia
2. Paul as Pastor in Acts: Modelling and Teaching Perseverance in the Faith – Alan J. Thompson, Sydney Missionary and Bible College, Australia
3. Paul as Pastor in Romans: Theological Foundations – Colin G. Kruse, Melbourne School of Theology, Australia
4. Paul’s Pastoral Sensitivity in 1 Corinthians – Matthew R. Malcolm, Trinity Theological College, Australia
5. Paul as Pastor in 2 Corinthians – Paul W. Barnett, Macquarie University, Australia
6. Pastoring with a Big Stick: Paul as Pastor in Galatians – Michael F. Bird, Ridley College, Australia and John Anthony Dunne, St. Andrew’s University, UK
7. Paul and Pastors in Ephesians: The Pastor as Teacher – Peter Orr, Moore Theological College, Australia
8. Paul and Pastors in Philippians: When Staff teams Disagree – Sarah Harris, Carey Baptist College, New Zealand
9. Paul as Pastor in Colossians? – Andrew S. Malone, Ridley College, Australia
10. Mother, Father, Infant, Orphan, Brother: Paul’s Variegated Pastoral Strategy Towards His Thessalonian Church-Family – Trevor J. Burke, Cambridge Theological Federation, UK
11. Paul as Working Pastor: Exposing an Open Ethical Secret – Robert W. Yarbrough, Covenant Theological Seminary, USA
12. The Pastoral Offices in the Pastoral Epistles and the Church of England’s First Ordinal – Tim Patrick, Bible College SA, Australia
13. Augustine of Hippo on Paul as Pastor – Andrew M. Bain, Queensland Theological College, Australia
14. ‘He Followed Paul’ Whitefield’s Voice: Heroic, Apostolic, Prophetic – Rhys S. Bezzant, Ridley College, Australia
Lastly, I have also just received a copy of a recent article, “The Rhetorical Strategy of 1 Timothy,” by Tim O’Donnell published in Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 79:3 (July 2017): 455-475. I look forward to reading this soon.
These are encouraging signs for work on these important letters.